Residence Permit

When is a residence permit required?

To study in the Netherlands you need to have a legal status. This means that you have to apply for a residence permit. A residence permit is required by all non-EU/EEA students wishing to study in the Netherlands.

How can a residence permit be obtained?

Students cannot apply for a residence permit themselves, only the academy can. Therefore students need to provide the academy on time with all required data, documents and payments by closely following the steps below.

Step 1

After you have been admitted to the academy you will receive an invitation from the International Office of the academy to start your application for a residence permit. The International Office will provide you with a login code with which you can start the application online and activate your workflow.

Step 2

All required documents have to be scanned and uploaded, so the International Office can check them and approve them. Some of the required documents:
* Valid passport;
* Valid proof of sufficient financial means to show that you can support yourself in the Netherlands for a year and can pay the tuition fees. NOTE: for the year 2015-2016, non-EU/EEA bachelor students had to prove that they had €15,613.56 on their bank account (the tuition fees + 12 times the minimum standard monthly amount for residence and study of € 854.15). NOTE: For non-EU/EEA Prep Year students this total amount was €12,097.56 . The obligatory total amount for 2016-2017 has not been determined yet and (dependent on the increased tuition/course fees, and possibly increased standard monthly amount) will be published here in January 2016;
* Proof of payment of the application fee for the residence permit (NOTE: €307.00 for 2015-2016);
* Proof of health insurance with sufficient coverage and validity in the Netherlands;
* If you are a Chinese national (even if you are currently living outside China) you have to get a Nuffic Certificate, to be eligible for a Dutch entry visa. This does not apply to Hong Kong (SAR), Macau (SAR) and Taiwan (ROC) nationals.

Step 3

When all documents are in order and complete, you are requested to send all hard copies to the International Office of the Gerrit Rietveld Academie. Only after receiving the hard copies your application can be sent in to the Dutch Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND).

Step 4

On arriving in the Netherlands, come to the International Office as soon as you can to collect your residence permit letter. You need this letter to pick up your residence permit card at the IND office. For some students a tuberculosis test is mandatory, in that case you will receive your TB test form from the International Office.

Do you have any remaining questions? Then please contact international@rietveldacademie.nl